1. Entries must be fiction.
2. Entries must incorporate Ybor City in some fashion. You don’t have to set the story in Ybor, but Ybor must inform the story’s events — as influence, as idea, as part of a character’s biography, whatever you like. You can reference Ybor's past, present or future, or conjure up an Ybor that is entirely imaginary.
3. Writers must be Florida residents. (Students who are not full-time state residents but are enrolled in Florida schools and colleges are also eligible.)
4. Stories must be no more than 3,000 words.
5. The winning story or stories will be printed in Creative Loafing and published online at cltampa.com on Jan. 3, 2013. Winners will be asked to read their work at a reading in January at CL Space, Creative Loafing’s events venue in Ybor City.
6. No more than three stories per entrant. For each entry, a $5 submission fee will be charged. Only online entries will be accepted. Story can be in doc, docx, rtf or txt format.
7. Judges will make their decisions based on originality, style and literary quality. Authors' names will be concealed during judging to preserve objectivity.
8. Stories must be the original work of the entrant, unpublished and not currently under consideration for publication.
9. Staff members of Creative Loafing, Inc. and current CL contributors are not eligible to enter.
10. The author retains copyright, but Creative Loafing Tampa reserves the right to publish entries in both its print and online editions.
11. DEADLINE EXTENDED. Entries must be received by 5 p.m., Fri., Dec. 14.
12. The top ten stories as chosen by our judges will be posted online at cltampa.com/fictioncontest on Dec. 17. Readers will be given the opportunity to vote on the top ten, and CL will announce both a judges’ winner and a readers’ choice on Jan. 3. Winners will be notified shortly before publication date by email or phone, and will be invited to read their work in the public event at CL Space in January.